Yes, we are Jamaican but today, we decided to spice up your pallet with something different! In Jamaica, Chinese Food and culture is popular! There are a lot of Chinese Jamaicans! Check out the recipie below! Let us know what you think!
Szechuan White Fish-Serves 4-Ingredients
12 oz white fish fillets
1 small egg beaten
3 tbsp plain (all purpose flour)
4 tbsp dry white wine
3 tbsp light soy sauce
vegetable oil, for frying
1 garlic clove, cut into slivers
1/2 inch piece fresh root ginger, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 celery stick, chopped
1 fresh red chilli chopped
3 spring onions (scallions) chopped
1 tsp rice wine vinegar
1/2 tsp ground Szechuan pepper
6 fl oz/3/4 cup fish stock
1 tsp caster (superfine) sugar
1 tsp cornflour (constarch)
2 tsp water
- First you cut the fish into 4-cm cubes. Beat the egg, flour, wine and 1 tbsp of soy sauce to make batter. Dip the cubes of fish into to the batter to coat well. Check out the pictures below!
- Heat the oil in the wok, reduce heat slightly and cook the fish, in batches, for 2-3 minutes, unitl golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon. Drain on Kitchen paper (paper towels), set aside and keep warm.
- After fish is fried and removed. Pour all but 1 tbsp from the wok and return to heat. Add garlic, ginger, onion, celery, chilli and spring onions (scallions) and stir fry for 1-2 min. Stir in remaining soy sauce and vinegar.
- Add Szechuan pepper and fish stock and caster (super fine) sugar to the wok, mix corn flour (cornstarch) with the water to form a smooth paste and stir into stock. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring for 1 minute until sauce thickens and clears.
- Return the fish cubes to the wok and cook for 1-2 minutes. SERVE IMMEDIATELY!
This is one of my favorite chinese dishes! Its easy and tasty! For more amazing chinese dishes check out this book: ULTIMATE RECIPES CHINESE! Let us know what you think about this recipe! Dive In!